Welcome to my blog!

Welcome to my blog! I really appreciate your visit or come back. In order to serve you best, I've launched a new blog. You'll continue find daily blog posts regarding latest and the best music, movies and TV show I picked. Please click HERE to open my new blog. Thanks and enjoy!

Friday, August 13, 2010

Marina and the Diamonds | "I Am Not A Princess"

Filmmaker Eugene Lee Yang was not hired by Marina and the Diamonds or her label to create this 10-minute video, using a medley of tracks from her debut full-length studio album "The Family Jewels." But after watching this enchanting mini-movie, I've been transported into a world of fairy tales and princesses and all things aesthetically stunning. Yang created the video entirely on spec, and according to his YouTube page, he felt truly inspired by Marina's album, and it's a journey of bright lights, beautiful colors, and the most beastly of all things beautiful and bewildering. "I Am Not A Princess" puts a modern, poptastic spin on several storybook tales, from The Little Mermaid to Cinderella to Alice in Wonderland, and uses Marina's songbook as the score.
The 24-year-old Marina Lambrini Diamandis, better known by her stage name, Marina and the Diamonds, is a Welsh singer of Greek descent. She rose to fame after reaching No.2 on the BBC Sound of 2010 poll list, coming 2nd to Ellie Goulding. Despite the name, Marina is a solo act, with the "Diamonds" being what she refers to as her fans. Her musical style ranges from keyboard-based ballads to more up-tempo new wave-style songs with full band backing. This new video is jaw-droppingly-amazing, and I get chills every time.
And here's full story about the video on Marina's YouTube page: "My original spec music video for the incredibly talented indie pop artist Marina and the Diamonds comprised of a supermix of tracks from her inspiring debut album, 'The Family Jewels.' The story reimagines a myriad of classic princess mythologies that every little boy and girl has grown up either adoring...resenting...fulfilling...(or a conflicted mixture of all those feelings), and writes each fairy tale its own unique, modern twist. This message: of carving your own path and ultimately following your heart, regardless of expectation or society, is very near and dear to me and hopefully reflected in the spirit of this film. Marina herself said it best when describing the origin of her musical identity: 'I saw a simple group made up of many people who had the same hearts. A space for people with similar ideals who could not fit in to life's pre-made mold. I was terribly awkward for a long time! I really craved to be part of one thing because I never felt too connected to anybody and now I feel I have that all around me.'"
"My fairy tale dream was this: to produce and direct my ideal music video with no limitations...to allow a spectacular young cast and crew to perform solely off their own creativity...to encourage and embrace diversity on film...to direct a project both my grandmother and little sister could love and understand...and, if anything, to promote a new artist who sincerely deserves more international attention. Artists like her, especially in pop music, are indeed as rare as diamonds, and upon your first listen you'll understand why I chose to feature her music in this passion project. 'I know exactly what I want and who I want to be...'"

No comments: