Welcome to my blog!

Welcome to my blog! I really appreciate your visit or come back. In order to serve you best, I've launched a new blog. You'll continue find daily blog posts regarding latest and the best music, movies and TV show I picked. Please click HERE to open my new blog. Thanks and enjoy!

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Jillette Johnson stays true to herself "Cameron"

Showcasing a viable array of musical and lyrical inspiration, our favorite find of late, Jillette Johnson has released the video for her emotion evoking "Cameron," about a transgendered boy is a great way for this vocal power house to put herself on the map. The piano-pop ballad was appeared on the singer-songwriter's five-track EP, "Whiskey & Frosting," which came out last August and reveals Johnson's pensive reflections on the world around her, all of which lead to a deeper understand of self-identity. "Cameron" is also the lead single from her latest new outstanding début album, "Water In A Whale," just out a week ago, June 25 via Wind-Up Records.
The journey for New York native Johnson has been as integral to her musical experience as the destination with her sultry, thoughtful piano-driven tunes. The musician, now 23, has spent the last decade cultivating her sound and defining her unique perspective. Her inspirational number "Cameron," is getting a ton of hype for it's story line which explores the struggle of being transgender and gives an inspiring voice about remaining true to one's authentic self. "Cameron" tells the story of a "real live human" in a "world full of aliens." The bravely vulnerable "Cameron" explores the struggle of a transgendered person and transpires a universal anthem for staying true to oneself. At its fundamental core, "Cameron" is about making tough choices to be authentic; a definite thematic thread in Johnson's life.
Written both from personal experience with someone the musician knows and from the idea of what it means to grapple with who you are. "I didn't know I was going to write about a transgendered boy, the words just came out and I thought, 'Oh, this is about someone trying be someone they don't appear to be,'" Johnson reveals. "There is a sensation I get when I want to create. I have energy coursing through my veins, and I just let my hands fall and run with it. I don't always know the initial reference point, but then I go back and make sense of what I'm saying. It's pure subconscious inspiration and relentless editing. 'Cameron' ended up being inspired by a transgendered kid I'm close with, but the song also captures the need to feel at home in your own skin." The glowing number focuses on what it means to be authentic to one's self, a universal theme.
The clip follows the story of "Cameron," who seems of the male sex but identifies with the female gender. "Cameron" locks the bedroom door and unlocks the box of "girl" items. Sporting make-up, a pink wig, and a sundress, "Cameron" then gears up in a spacesuit to head outside. With suit hooked up to Johnson's piano, her music fuels "Cameron" out into the world. The suit later comes off as the chorus repeats "the world is full of aliens but you are a human." How many times have you gone out in a spacesuit? Johnson is singing for everyone in bat suits and clown suits like, and insecurities they may represent. We're human and this is our space. We don't need special equipment to be, and we shouldn't make others or ourselves feel like that basic right isn't true.

1 comment:

Jen said...

I really like the theme of Water In A Whale. It's something a lot of people in their early 20s are going through right now. Her lyrics are so true and clever. I really like this lyric contest going on for her fans. Makes perfect sense! http://smarturl.it/HashtagCameronJJ