Welcome to my blog!

Welcome to my blog! I really appreciate your visit or come back. In order to serve you best, I've launched a new blog. You'll continue find daily blog posts regarding latest and the best music, movies and TV show I picked. Please click HERE to open my new blog. Thanks and enjoy!

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Ivy Levan sets the world on fire in "Hot Damn"

The newest sassy pop sensation Ivy Levan has just delivered a eye catching visual for her debut single, "Hot Damn," taken from her recently released debut EP, aptly titled "Introducing The Dame," that unveils Levan's refreshing new sound, was inspired by a range of different musical influences and inspirations. It perfectly demonstrates her brilliant roughneck wit as a pop lyricist. "When I was a kid, I adored Whitney Houston and Michael Jackson," Levan explains in a press release. "And then in my preteen and teen years I got into a lot of darker stuff, like black metal and Portishead and Siouxsie & The Banshees."
The Arkansas native is a porcelain skin beauty and the fine purveyors of pop, who applies her big, powerful voice, and delivers a brassy brand of music created by her very own genre she called "swamp-hop," which is a fitting reference to her Southern roots with hip-hop's rougher edges to create accessible pop, and yes, a darn good way to sum up her stomping brand of retro-styled and cheeky soul-pop. It's a down and dirty brew of brass beats and swagger with a unique sound built around sultry vocals full of grit and venom. It also has attitude, memorable melody, and style to burn and there seemed to be a narrative here of the femme fatale variety.
It's not easy to put a label on Levan's unique style of music, and judging by the amazing sounds emitted from Janelle Monae, Levan says of her own music, "I'm not here to preach a message, I'm just telling my story through my songs and hopefully others can relate and get down! It's a win win." Levan cuts a striking figure with her sleek skyscraper frame, diamond-cut cheekbones, and blonde pompadour with the brash attitude of a noire femme fatale.
"Hot Damn," is a deliciously naughty little tune about wreaking enough havoc to set the world on fire. Plus, it's got a toe-tapping ragtime rhythm, which nostalgia enthusiasts will love, and some sultry vocals from Levan. There is a retro feel to the music, but somehow the approach feels completely contemporary. There is also a hint of a sunnier Amy Winehouse. Check out Levan striding across your screen and swinging a mean cast iron skillet in the video below. Despite that gritty/badass concept, director Daniel Carberry goes for a timeless black-and-white palette and styling that gets increasingly glamorous as Levan kicks more and more ass. It is a tongue-in-cheek play on comic-book violence, and ends with a cliffhanger that'll leave you wanting more. There's a rawness to Levan that I like, and I'm sure you will too. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a great write-up. Can't wait to see Ivy in Baltimore. She is going to blow up. I am just happy to have liked her back when...