Welcome to my blog!

Welcome to my blog! I really appreciate your visit or come back. In order to serve you best, I've launched a new blog. You'll continue find daily blog posts regarding latest and the best music, movies and TV show I picked. Please click HERE to open my new blog. Thanks and enjoy!

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Gabrielle Aplin Covers "The Power of Love"

British singer Gabrielle Aplin has rush-released a new video and put her own spin on her piano-led tender and haunting reworking of the Frankie Goes To Hollywood's classic, "The Power of Love" and has make its debut on the John Lewis Christmas advert called 'The Journey' during Derren Brown Friday tonight. Coincidentally, the single is likely to make its chart impact almost 28 years to the day after the song's original release on November 19 of 1984.
Aplin told The Independent: "For those of you who know me you'll know that I'm a massive fan of the adverts. I started crying in Tesco when I found out [I had been chosen]. It was a big deal." The youngster, who has gained a following from her Youtube videos has also been tipped for this year's Christmas No.1 with this track, which has been described as "haunting." However, being chosen for this means Aplin has had to postpone her debut single, "Please Don't Say You Love Me" from November 18th to February 10th of next year.
Asked to record the song by Lewis, Aplin was initially hesitant that she could bring her own alchemy to a track that was already quite perfect, but she's put an incredible twist on the track. The 20-year-old unsigned YouTube star explained that “The lyrics are so strong and powerful but the song is so intricate and beautiful, I was fascinated with the juxtaposition of it,” Aplin commented. “What I really wanted to do was strip the production away but keep the energy of the song. And I wanted it to be minimal and wintry."
Following in the footsteps of Ellie Goulding and Slow Moving Millie who recorded covers of Elton John's "Your Song" and The Smiths's "Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want" for the department store's 2010 and 2011 Christmas commercials respectively, the clip for Aplin's beautiful cover of "The Power of Love," is pretty much how you'd imagine it to be. Stark piano balladry, an absolutely stunning and feather-delicate vocals, tastefully done, for sure. It actually gives me chills, certainly. The self-taught pianist, who says she normally shuns the industry madness, and she hopes her version doesn't disappoint grown-up 80s pop fans, a demographic John Lewis consistently targets.

No comments: